Frequently Asked Questions

What is Londonderry’s tax rate?
The 2018 tax rate for Londonderry is $21.80 per 1,000. This set annually in October by the Department of Revenue.
What is the ratio for Londonderry?
The 2017 ratio for Londonderry is 89.6%. This is set by the Department of Revenue (DRA). At the end of each year the Londonderry Assessing Department sends a report to the DRA of all arms-length sales data that occurred between October 1st and September 30th. The DRA compares the assessed value and the selling price to determine a ratio between the two. All sales between family members, sales within corporations, foreclosures, and fiduciary sales are not considered to be an arms-length sale and are eliminated from the data. The DRA calculates an average and determines what each Town's ratio is for the previous year. The 2018 ratio will be available in the spring of 2019.
When does the tax year start?
The tax year by State Law starts on April 1st and runs through March 31st (the next year). When you are building a structure, you are taxed on what is there on April 1st of any year. When you remove a structure (i.e., pool), if it is taken down after April 1st , you will be taxed until the next year.
When do I apply for an exemption or credit?
April 15th is the deadline for all applications for exemptions and credits. See exemptions on our website for specifics, or call the Assessor’s office at (603) 432-1100, x135 for more information.
Why are properties being re-inspected?
The Town of Londonderry has had an on-going Cyclical Inspection program since 2002. At this time, we have completed measuring and listing the entire town the first time through. During the beginning of 2009, we began remeasuring and listing all properties again in South Londonderry with Map 1. This program began again in 2016 and will take about 5 to 6 years to do the whole town. This program is only to verify the information that we have on our property record card. Your value will change only if we find discrepancies.
How do I apply for an abatement?
Abatement forms are available in the Assessor’s office and on-line after the final tax notice (December tax bill) has been mailed. The last day to apply for an abatement is March 1st following the final tax bill.
How is property appraised?
To find the value of any piece of property, the Assessor must first know what properties similar to it are selling for, what it would cost to replace it, how much it takes to operate and keep it in repair, what rent it may earn, and many other dollar facts affecting its value, such as the current rate of interest charged for borrowing the money to buy or build properties like yours. Using these facts, the Assessor can then go about finding the property value in three different ways:
How is property appraised (cont.)?
Sales Comparison Approach
The first method compares your property to others that have recently sold. These prices, however, must be analyzed very carefully to get the true picture. One property may have sold for more than it is really worth because the buyer was in a hurry and would pay any price. Another may have sold for less money than it was worth because the owner needed cash right away. The property was sold to the first person that made an offer. When using the sales comparison approach, the Assessor must always consider such over-pricing or under-pricing and analyze many sales to arrive at a fair valuation for your property. Size, quality, condition, location, and time of sale are also important factors to consider.
Cost Approach
A second way to value your property is based on how much money it would take, at current material and labor costs, to replace your property with one similar. If your property is not new, the Assessor must also estimate how much a lot like yours would be worth, if vacant.
Income Approach
The third way is to evaluate how much income your property would produce if it were rented as an apartment house, a store, or a factory. The Assessor must consider operating expenses, taxes, insurance, maintenance costs, and the return most people would expect on your kind of property.
When do I need a permit to cut down trees?
In accordance with RSA 79, Timber Tax, an “intent to cut” application must be completed and submitted to the Assessing Department before any timber can be cut from any property. The application can be completed by the logger but must be signed by the owner, as the owner is the person responsible for the payment of the timber tax. There can be exceptions to a cut. The law allows for up to 10,000 board feet of logs or 20 cords of wood yield tax free per tax year, so long as the logs or wood is used for the personal use of the owner. The logs or wood cannot be sold or even given in lieu of payment for the timber cut; a yield tax would be issued if that were the case. For purposes of land conversion, for example land developed for a house, an “intent to cut” is not required if less than 10,000 board feet or 20 cords of wood are cut. Applications are available at the Assessor’s office; contact us if you have any questions.
How do I access the Assessing database to view an assessment, and/or print a property record
The Assessing office has a computer available for public use. You may also access - Departments - Assessing - Town Assessments. A digital file on CD ROM containing current assessing information may be purchased through the office for a fee of $75.00.
How can I access the tax maps?
The tax maps are available on-line at - Click on: Online Services - Click on: GIS