According to the NFPA, gas and charcoal grills caused an average of 3,400 structure fires and 4,900 outdoor fires in or on home properties in 2005, resulting in a combined direct property loss of $137 million. To make sure your next barbecue doesn't go up in flames, the Home Safety Council recommends the following safety tips:
- Designate the grilling area a "No Play Zone" keeping kids and pets well away until grill equipment is completely cool.
- Before using, position your grill at least 10 feet away from other objects, including the house and any shrubs or bushes.
- NH State Law Prohibits kindling of a gas or charcoal grill within 10 feet of a multifamily or commercial building.
- CLICK HERE FOR THE NH CODE PROHIBITTING GRILLS ON DECKS OF MULTIFAMILY BUILDINGS
- Always stay by the grill when cooking.
- Only use starter fluid made for barbecue grills when starting a fire in a charcoal grill.
- Before using a gas grill, check the connection between the propane tank and the fuel line to be sure it is working properly and not leaking.
- Never use a match to check for leaks. If you detect a leak, immediately turn off the gas and don't attempt to light the grill again until the leak is fixed.
- Never bring a barbecue grill indoors, or into any unventilated space. This is both a fire and carbon monoxide poisoning hazard.