Skip Navigation
Londonderry New Hampshire
This table is used for column layout.

Citizen Action Center

Online Services
Services A-Z
phones & hours
Town Documents
Send Us Comments
Minutes and Agendas
SSubscribe to e-alerts
Useful Links

Town Clerk Tax Collectors
Office Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm

Where can I get firefighter training?

The NH Department of Safety, Division of Fire Standards and Training located in Concord, NH provides certified Firefighter courses. They can be reached at (800) 371-4503 or visit their website.
Various fire departments and mutual aid organizations also offer Fire Academy approved classes. Fire Science and Fire Protection courses are offered at NH Community Technical College Laconia (603) 524-3207. NH Technical Institute in Concord (603) 271-6484 offers Emergency Medical Services courses.  The State of NH Fire Academy also has much more information on the requirements to become a Firefighter in the State of NH.  Click here to visit thier page.

What is the cost and procedures for hiring firefighters at events?

The charge for hiring a firefighter is $65.00 per hour with a minimum of four hours required. The Fire Chief determines the need for fire safety personnel, number of individuals, and the hours required covering the event.  Contact the Fire Department at 432-1124 to confirm times and rates for a detail.  Additional rates may apply if apparatus is also required for an event.

What are the requirements for storing my gas grill? Can I keep my gas grill on my porch?

Outdoor barbeque grills should be stored outdoors or in a detached storage shed away from occupied structures. At no time should propane fired equipment be brought into any occupied structure. No Hibachi, gas fired grill, charcoal grill, or similar devices used for cooking, heating or any other purpose shall be used or kindled on any porch or balcony or under any overhanging portion or within ten (10) feet of any multi-family structure.

How can I get a burn permit?
If you own the property and wish to burn brush, stop by the Central Fire station on Mammoth Road and we will be happy to assist you with a permit. If you do not own the property, you must bring written permission from the property owner in order for a permit to be issued. Burning is allowed from 5 p.m. to 9 a.m. or while raining.  A fire permit is NOT required anytime there is  a 100 foot radius of complete snow cover around the fire. All fires must be attended at all times by the permit holder. During windy or dry weather, times of drought or high fire danger, burning permits will not be issued and all burning is prohibited.  Also see our Outdoor Fire Permit Rules.

How many smoke detectors do I need for my house?

Today's new homes require by code a hardwired detector on each floor in addition to a detector in each bedroom. Older Homes do still need at least one smoke detector on each floor, including the basement. For maximum protection in these occupancies, we highly recommend one in each bedroom too. If you are renting a property, the landlord is required to have hardwired smoke detectors throughout the unit.

I live in an apartment and one of my smoke detectors looks broken. What should I do?
First, contact your landlord or property manager and request that it be looked at immediately. If there is a delay in the repairs or if you need further assistance, please call the Fire Prevention Office at 432-1124 and we will assist you.

How often should I test my smoke detector?
You should test your smoke detector monthly. Most detectors have a button you can push to test them. Change the batteries in your smoke detector twice a year. A handy way to remember to change your batteries is to do it when you change your clocks for daylight savings time. Smoke detectors should be replaced at least every ten years. Never disable your smoke detector by removing the batteries. Remember, a smoke detector that isn’t working cannot save you.

Is there someone always at the firehouse?
Yes, the firefighters work 24 hour shifts.  You may find our North or South fire station unmanned if they are out on a call or at training.  Our Central Fire Station is always staffed with a dispatcher at minimum 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

What do I do when I am driving and see approaching emergency vehicles displaying sirens and red lights?

Safely pull to the right and stop until the emergency vehicle has passed. Be aware that, at times, there may be more than one emergency vehicle that needs to pass.

What is a KNOX-BOX®?  

The KNOX-BOX® Rapid Entry System was specifically developed for fire departments. With a master key, we can gain access to commercial and residential properties.   This system is now required for new commericial properties.  More than 11,500 fire departments nationwide use Knox® key boxes.  Learn more about the KNOX-BOX online or on our Knox Box page.

Have a question not listed above?  

Feel free to e-mail us your question and we will try to answer it as quickly as possible.